March 17, 2009

in-between

©expat copenhagen - habour helsingør

when you decide that you move to another country it's all dazzling new! you are happy about everything and you are excited! images pop up in your mind and you see yourself in that or this position, place, .....

the time between your first thoughts and the rush you are in when it all actually takes place is strange. at least it's for me! you confront yourself with different questions that occupy your mind although you're still far from facing them! you think about apartments weeks long and lose your mind in little details like mobile phone rates.

meanwhile you talk to many friends/people about your plans. you'll find supporters, opposers, happy and sad people. some will tell you they'll visit you, some you know will actually do it some wouldn't. some tell you things you didn't know before.

when you enter that phase of migration you're in-between! you and your mind don't really live on the same spot any more. it happens that you're lost in thoughts. it happens that you forget stuff, that you're scared and that you're tremendously happy! all maybe only within some weeks or months! with us it's months, since it'll take till early July until we move to Copenhagen. a long time will pass and some things in life will pass by while I'm/we're occupied by ....

did you ever have this kind of experience?

1 comment:

  1. I totally recognize that feelin' from when I lived in Tokyo.

    When you arrive, you go through this initial phase of amazement. You keep track of every experience and every detail that you come across. It's overwhelming.

    In this in-between space that you describe. I felt that I would/could see stuff that fueled my imagination. It was amazing.

    But as I was trying to get settled in the daily rythm of living in Tokyo, I noticed, that the things that was amazing to me started to become ordinary.

    So, I guess, as banal as it may seem, my advice to you, any other guy/girl going to a new place, is to embrace that initial feeling, inspiration and observation of being in-between.

    Good luck to you guys. I hope you enjoy your stay.

    Copenhagen is great during the summer!

    ReplyDelete