June 2, 2009

a life out of boxes





so well, it has been a few days that we have arrived in copenhagen. while paul is taking back the little truck to salzburg I'm fighting with all our stuff that waits to be unpacked and neatly arranged in our new little home. after almost finishing with the kitchen (somehow that's the most important place for me *gg*) I'm now left with a mountain of clothes that we used to wrap the fragile kitchen stuff (nothing broke, yay).

as the weather is so beautiful right now, I decided that the dog (hehe..) absolutely wanted to go out and I couldn't stay inside working in that mess and make the little fella stay in (yeah, blame it on the dog). So I met up with an old friend who happend to be in copenhagen for the weekend and we spend the day in christianshavn, drinking coffee and playing with the doggy on the big grass-space next to the opera at holmen. the children where jumping in the canals, and the daddys where working on their sailing boats, preparing them for the scandinavian summer ahead. it was almost to idyllic to be true. I wanted to go swimming, but I am really a jelly-fish phobic and although the danish friend who was with us told me that only sting "a little" and I should go, I decided that swimming could wait a little longer until I would become more aquainted with the copenhagen medusas.

I read awhile ago that christianshavn is like a village in the city and that its people rarely cross the bridge to the center. I thought this was strange at first, but I haven't crossed the bridge until today :-) I just feel so comfortable with the quietness and all the people relaxing on the canals, picknicking. and there is all you really need: "lakagehuset" for the best friggin' bread and sweets (sadly vienna has lost it's famous bread and patisserie-mojo the last few years), the canals for swimming, enough space to give our doggy a good workout (he needs his 60km/h run every day :-)) and bottega, which has amazing pizza. I also like how young the mothers are and that they take their children everywhere. In vienna most people believe that your life is over once you have babies. I even saw that with a friend, she didn't have anyone, her husband was working and she spent the days at home being depressed for the first 6 months, not knowing othe young mothers (it's considered rather weird to have a baby before turning 35). but here it seems children are just part of life, that somehow starts to take away my fear of becoming a mom! *g* maybe that's why we germans and austrians are dying out and scandinvians happily reproduce themselves :-)

not everything is perfect, though and I wouldn't mind if all the pit bulls from christiania and the straying dogs would disappear, but I guess you can't have everything.

but apart from that I feel really lucky that we have found such a sweet little apartment in an amazing place and that we can afford it and even have a little money left at the end of the month.
I realize, of course, that there is the real life also and so tomorrow is going to be spent with getting our registration certificate, internet, tv and all the bureaucratic stuff that needs to be done. then we have to continue unpacking and so on and so on. I also want to start the danish course as soon as possible, cause I really didn't like the look full of pity that the lakagehuset-girl gave me when I tried to pronounce "kanelsnegl".
I somehow feel very lost when I don't know the language of a place, it makes me feel so isolated so I really need to get going with it!

pics and news will come soon!!!!

5 comments:

  1. HI Jen

    Welcome to Copenhagen. I also live in Amager, more to the center but we're still on the same island! I love to live in Amager, it's a fantastic area

    ReplyDelete
  2. hej baby,
    love your discriptions! seems as we really touch on an amazing area. sitting here in munich waiting for my flight I cant wait seeing you again!

    love
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've been reading your blog for a while now. I'll be moving to DK in August, but not in Copenhagen though.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hej to the writer ;-) yes, I still don't know all of amager, but as soon as I have a bike, I'll start discovering the rest of our beautiful little island!

    hej bluefish: where are you moving to? thanks for stopping by at our blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am moving to Næstved in August, it's located in south of Zealand.

    ReplyDelete